Desktop utilities - and software for - portable devices such as PDAs (in particular Psions running EPOC), and portable media players (eg. MP3 and video transcoding).
Useful for transcoding radio programmes to MP3s for listening on portable devices (eg. the Archos Gmini 400 or any other MP3 player). It will try to be clever about ID3 tags and output filenames, and can even automatically copy the resulting MP3 elsewhere using SCP (if required).
- Transcode playlist or streaming RealAudio URLs to MP3s.
- Add ID3 tags based on meta-data, but allow overriding using command line.
- Optional downsample to mono and overriding of bitrate.
- Automatically copy resulting MP3 to remote site.
- Uses named pipe so no large temporary files.
- Optional offset into programme for, say, capturing the last hour of a 3 hour programme.
Requires mplayer (with RealAudio codecs) and LAME. It should also work (or be trivial to modify) with Windows Media streams or, in fact, anything else mplayer can handle.
Wrapper scripts for Perl, Java and (potentially) Python
for Nik Murray's Shell5
UNIX-like shell for EPOC. Also includes a wrapper for Symbian's text
editor allowing it to be called as
Also included is a simple FTP client using X-Soft's FTP.opx.