[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
prepare for the deluge
- To: tvdevel@xxxxxxxx
- Subject: prepare for the deluge
- From: Simon Kenyon <simon@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:51:09 +0000
- Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:49:16 +0000
- Envelope-to: tvdevel@xxxxxxxx
- Organization: The Koala Computer Company Limited
- User-agent: KMail/1.5
as i'm sure you're aware, ananova pulled the plug on their xmltv friendly tv
listings. this leave your site as one of the few (if only sights) that
provide good quality tv listings for the uk. dispite the fact that i live in
ireland, this data is very important to my experiments with mythtv.
i know that you are aware of mythtv as i've read the mailing list archive.
right now for xmltv users in the uk and ireland their are a number of choices:
- get the data from the bbc site using tv_grab_uk_rt
to be honest i don't think this is a runner
- get the data from bleb.org
this seems very promising but i suspect if all the mythtv users suddenly
move over to your site then you will have a bit of a problem
- use your code and run it locally
you talk about making your code available so that we can grab it ourselves.
i for one, would be very eager to have a look at it. rather than generating
your xml i would like to feed it directly into my mysql database.
- build a distributed network of grabbers
this would spread the load. as more sites joined this netwrok, maybe we
could add new sources of data and build up a very high quality corpus of
i would appreciate feedback on these ideas